Subject: Re: Computer Graphics Career
From: Perry Harovas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 08:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Aug 1994, Glen Mead wrote:

> Hi All,
>  
>   As the subject suggests, I would like to get into computer graphics and 
> animation as a career.  My problem is that there is little or no courses 

snip

> Technologist if that is of any help.  I currently have an Amiga 2000 
> (basically stock with an 80 meg HD, 512 K chip ram, 8.5 megs fast ram) 
> and an Amiga 1200 (80 meg HD, 2 megs chip ram, 2 megs PCMCIA ram) which 
> 
>   Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might get into this line of 
> work?  I don't know where to start so any help would be greatly 
> appreciated.  Thanks.

LightWave3D is great for people first starting out in 3D. It was my first 
3D package, and it made it easier to make the jump to trying out a high 
end package like Alias PowerAnimator after having had a few years on 
LightWave first. This isn't to say that you would ever even need to make 
a jump to a higher end package, just watch seaQuest DSV and Babylon 5 and 
that will become clear. The reason I mention this is, (besides your 
message being addressed to a LightWave 3D specific list), you mention 
above that you already have an Amiga. Getting the stand alone version of 
LightWave and Modeler would be a great way to start, without needing to 
buy a whole system just to get into 3D.
 
> PS: Does anybody know how I might get ahold of SIGGRAPH here on the net?

I believe it is an FTP address: siggraph.org  (I think)...

Good luck!

-Perry Harovas